Monday, December 27, 2010

Readings: The Knitting Sutra

I went to the Sweet Branch Library tonight (Salt Lake City) and got a bunch of things. This gave me a renewed fervor for finishing the book(s) I already started. One of which was this one...






In college, I took a class focused on Indian culture. During the course of this class, I read a number of books by Indian women authors, including and especially A River Sutra, which particularly stuck with me. For this reason, when I was perusing the knitting section of the library and saw this book, I plucked it from the shelf immediately with that certain feeling of synchronicity I often experience in libraries. I have been reading this small book very casually for the last couple weeks in between actual knitting, working and doing other things. Therefore, I offer thee:

A short review of The Knitting Sutra: Craft as a Spiritual Practice by Susan Gordon Lydon

As with most books, I was very skeptical in the beginning. My first impression was that this book was going to regurgitate a litany of hackneyed new-agey quotations of recent spiritual leaders and somehow offer them from the slant of a middle-aged woman who enjoys knitting. What I found instead (after giving the book a chance beyond my initial poo-pooing) was biographical encouragement for any person laboring away at something they are open-mindedly passionate about. The book does indeed offer up a collection of quotations and references to people (the fodder for a lot of internet searches and library hold-making), but also a simple and inspiring recollection of a person undergoing a realization of the self through various hardships knitted into challenging projects. Of course, there is a lot in here that those familiar with modern knitting will especially connect with, but I think writers, painters, cloud watchers, basket weavers, blacksmiths and anyone else toiling away late into the night would get at least a little something out of picking up this book for a few moments.

I finished reading this book tonight, leaving that portion of my mental cue free for other endeavors...

No comments:

Post a Comment